Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Stepping into a God Adventure (The Story of Maria)


I wanted to share a great testimony about how God worked a big miracle in my life. I want to encourage those of you who are praying for loved ones, friends, co-workers, and people who haven't even crossed your path yet. God does answer prayers concerning bringing people into His Kingdom, and He is still in the business of doing miracles. God hears you loud and clear when you cry out for people. I know this to be true in many ways, because I experienced the miracle of my friend coming to the Lord. Maria and I have known each other since we were in 6th grade. We first met in Lompoc, CA at Vandenberg Middle School, and have been friends ever since. After we graduated from Cabrillo High School in 1999, we went our separate ways. In 2000, I ended up moving to Kansas City after my life was drastically rescued by the ministry of Steve and Kathy Gray. I went to their World Revival School of Ministry, and allowed God to restore my life. Each year I went back to Lompoc, CA for visits, and tried to share with people how God was continually changing my life. Unfortunately, it was difficult to find people with open ears and hearts.
In 2011, I was deeply encouraged by my friends Pastor James Kopang and Pastor Dustin Smith. Each of them preached great messages on reaching out to people, and it stirred my heart. I wanted to bring in more people to God's Kingdom, and wanted to see their lives restored. In March of 2011, I made an unplanned trip to Lompoc. I put out on Facebook, "I'm coming to Lompoc, who would like to hang out?" Maria was the only one who responded, and we made a reunion date at Starbucks. We had only one hour, because I had a flight to catch in L.A. I hadn't seen her in a decade, and she hadn't changed a bit. As we got caught up, I noticed that Maria was wide open. What I mean is that she had a hungry heart for God, and I noticed it. I shared the good things that God had done in my life, and it was noticeable. I wasn't the same person she had seen June 9th, 1999. It wasn't because I was older either, something on the inside of me was different. I gave her some sermon CD's that changed my life, and encouraged her to listen to them. I guaranteed her that she would get a 'nugget' each time she listened. As it turned out, Maria put those CD's in her car, and God began to touch her life.
When I got back to Kansas City, I found out that I had lost my job. It was a shock to me, and threw me into one of the biggest faith battles of my life. God was my ultimate supplier, and I never went without. In July of 2011, I was finishing up my summer finals, and my mom called me. She mentioned that she and my sisters were getting together. All of a sudden my faith arose, and I told my mom, "I'm going to California!" She was delighted, and I made the arrangements. It was definitely a faith situation, but God worked it out. While I was there, I made plans to be with Maria. I knew that God wanted to speak to her, so I was ready to listen to what God wanted to say. We spoke together for two hours, and God gave me everything I needed to say. It was what she needed to hear, and I didn't even know it! I invited her to Kansas City for a visit, and headed back east the next day.
Over the next few months, God arranged for me to not only have a job, but go to school full-time. In the meantime, I would check in on Maria, and see how she was doing. One Thursday night in September, I was on my way home from Firehouse. Maria called me and said she was on the World Revival Church website, and saw an advertisement for a conference. She booked a plane ticket and was on her way to Kansas City. That weekend Maria was deeply touched by God, and we had a blast being together! On Sunday morning, we sat on the prayer floor together, amazed at what God had done. I sat there amazed that my friend from Cabrillo was sitting next to me. It was two worlds colliding for the first time. The next day, before we went off to do some sight seeing, I walked into Maria's room. My faith sprang up within me and I said, "Maria, if you ever want to move here, this will be your room."
Sure enough, Maria decided to take a big step, and move to Kansas City. She loved Pastor Kathy, and was intrigued about the classes she taught at the school of ministry. So she decided to move to attend classes at the school of ministry, and take some Pastor Kathy classes. That was the end of February, beginning of March 2012. So this year marks her 3rd year anniversary. As the months passed by, Maria began to change before my eyes. She would come home from the school of ministry, her eyes were as big as saucers. She would say, "did you know...?" Maria grew up Catholic, and didn't really know the Word of God, or even really how to pray. After she spent time reading the bible, being filled with the Holy Spirit, and getting a biblical foundation laid in her life, I saw her arise. I had known her since middle school, and I was seeing things that were still on her life, begin to brake off! She started getting a voice, becoming bold and strong, and gained a new confidence.
Today, Maria works with the 2-3 year olds in Light Church, and carries an anointing to work with children. She always had a heart for children, and she found a niche for that gifting. She also is one of the people who does the words for the praise and worship team of World Revival Church; a trusted position. She cleans the House of Hope and Healing, and has a spirit of excellence in all that she does. She never has a bad attitude, and helps out in places no one even knows about. Maria has a huge heart for people, and when she prays...things happen. That is a drastic change from the person who left Lompoc three years ago.
Like Abraham, the father of our faith, Maria has become a lady of faith. She is the one who said, "it took big faith to leave, but it takes bigger faith to stay." That is definitely a statement of faith, when it comes to stepping into a God adventure. Maria is like a modern day Abraham, because she left everything to go after God. In return, God is raising her up, restoring her life, and using her powerfully. In fact, she is the one I'm trusting to watch over the Shalom Home, my home in Raytown, MO. She oversees the newsletter for prayer, and much more. Maria is a is a huge answer to prayer, and miracle of God.
My encouragement is this, don't give up responding to the Holy Spirit when He nudges you about people. If God puts someone on your heart, call them, Facebook them, text them, and above all else pray for them. 435 highway in Kansas City, between the Kansas and Missouri state lines is saturated with my prayers for people. On my way to work, and on the way back I prayed. I prayed for people and responded to the Holy Spirit. I probably prayed for Maria many times on that stretch of road. So who is out there that needs what you have? I'm sure someone needs a burning bush to get their attention. Are you burning and drawing people to the light of God on the inside of you? Don't be surprised if there's a 'Maria' waiting for you, in your future. Pray that God would open their eyes, and that God would use you to impact their lives.

Song for Maria, "Open my Eyes"

3 comments:

  1. You're such a faithful friend Mary! Love this story of how you changed Maria's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I appreciate you sticking with me on my adventures in Poland! I wouldn't be able to be here if Maria hadn't arisen to her position in God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just so wonderful to read!!!! AMEN!!!

    ReplyDelete