Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Modern Day Missionary



I've been thinking about what it means to be a modern day missionary in this generation. I remember as a little girl hoping someday to become a missionary, but I didn't know what it would look like. Sometimes when missionaries would come to my church, I would see pictures of villages with huts. I think going to places like that is still very important, but as I'm growing in this experience my viewpoint is changing. Being a modern day missionary still means bringing the good news to people. The good news is that God can come into your life now. He can heal, restore, and free you now. He can raise your hopes and dreams from the grave, and turn situations that seemed impossible. That is a message for any nation, and any people. God doesn't always need people to go to a remote village, but instead he needs people to go to regular towns. I had no idea that I could be used in a regular town, like the one I came from. That the people need the exact same words of life that I needed. That they are just as regular as me, and worth investing into. I was always told that if you affect 'your world,' then you can go into the world. Being a missionary means getting into the 'trenches' and touching lives, one person at a time. It is putting to the test all that is in you, and seeing what really works. So really, I was practicing being a missionary before I even became one.

As far as what it is like to be a missionary, I don't live in a hut, I live in a really nice flat (apartment). I get to live in a beautiful town, and live a normal life. I drive to the grocery store, and I get diesel for the car I borrow. I don't go out to eat as often, but I get to eat homemade Polish food all the time. I need a translator, and I can't use my American slang. I have to use very simple English, even more simple than I'm used to. I try to pick up as much Polish as I can, and have lots of people helping expand my vocabulary. I have to remind myself that I'm here to be a blessing to them, and begin to conform to my surroundings. I had to do the very same thing when I moved from California to Missouri. When I moved from the west coast to the mid-west, that was culture shock for me. What shocked me the most is that it snowed in December. It went from blazing hot temperatures to snow in a just a couple of months. Though after living in Missouri for about a year and half, I had been mid-westernized. I never dreamed in a million years that I would be wearing business attire, and driving in the snow. I was planning on living on the beach, being a surfer, and living the California dream. So, moving to Poland is the same concept for me, and I hope that I'm adjusting to their culture more and more. It is important if I'm to be in their country, that I do my best to adjust to their culture.

Another quick note, it is important to learn about the people you'll be ministering to. It is vital to dig into their history, and get to know them as a people. It makes a big impact on people here that I cared enough to research their history. They are amazed that I am passionate about them, and care about what they have gone through. I listen to what problems are going on in their country, and recognize the impact it has on their lives. I also take into consideration how they live, the food they eat, and what is important to them. I have to remind myself that I'm not in America, and things are done differently. So therefore, I go with their flow, and my flow has to change.

If you have ever read stories about missionaries of the 19th century, a lot of them would ship a casket with their belongings. They were ready to lay their lives down, and were not planning on coming back. Luckily for me, I'm in the 21st century, and I have the internet. Yes, the internet has been fantastic being far away from America. I've been able to Skype and Facetime with friends, post videos, upload songs we're writing, blog the updates, watch streaming video of my church in Kansas City, and stay up to date with friends on Facebook. Plus, there are phones, and planes! I love the fact that I have so much technology at my finger tips, and I can do so much with it. I can upgrade things in the church I'm serving at, I can print new songs for the worship books, record videos, and create a plethora of resources in a short amount of time. So being a modern day missionary has it's benefits. You are more connected to the real world, and can keep up with loved ones a lot easier. Also, you can provide more resources with the internet than ever before. Teachings, training, books, songs can all be translated into whatever language you need. More than likely you'll have someone who speaks English, and can help you with your mission.

So this is a little sneak peak into the life of a modern day missionary. I hope that there are kids out there who have a heart for the nations, and are responding to that nudge from God. I want to encourage those of you who are not kids, and have a heart for the nations. Continue to seek God, and get serious about getting into position. Look for opportunities to reach out to people in your community, and make an impact! Show God that you can touch your world, and that he can give you a nation or two.

This week I am asking friends to join with me in prayer! I get a great opportunity to speak at a women's conference in Warsaw, and then speak at their school of ministry. I want peoples hearts to be deeply touched, and for God to move powerfully in their lives.

  • Protection over me
  • Discernment/wisdom as I speak
  • That there would be an anointing to set the captives free
  • Freedom for our friends to respond
  • Connect their hearts to mine, and mine to theirs
  • Favor!
  • The right words at the right time

Thank you so much!!
#PolandArise

1 comment:

  1. Such wise words. I loved being able to skype and email while Tim was gone as well. And I'm so glad you didn't have to bring your casket with you! I'll be praying for this weekend. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete